Who can resist a slice of frosting-topped carrot cake? This grain-free version may be the yummiest you’ll ever eat; it’s moist, sweet, and has just the right amount of spice. It’s made with almond flour and packed with coconut, raisins and pecans. Topped with delicious dripped yogurt cream cheese frosting, it’s going to be a big hit with family and friends.
Every step is 100% made from scratch yet easy to do. For the cake, all you need is two bowls. For a burst of aeration, we like to use the Vibe Blender System, but, a hand whisk will do the job.
Probiotic cream cheese takes some forward planning but isn’t at all difficult. Find the how-to video here. It’s well worth the effort.
1 cup coconut sugar
¼ cup maple syrup
1/3 cup (70 rams) coconut oil melted
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups almond flour
¾ cup desiccated coconut
1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Pinch ground cloves
¾ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 cups grated carrot
½ cup raisins
¾ cup chopped walnuts or pecans (plus extra for decorating)
Cream cheese frosting
Approx. 250 grams yogurt cream cheese
1 tablespoon melted butter
3 tablespoons of honey or sweetener of your choice*
1 teaspoon vanilla
Pinch of salt
*add the amount necessary to achieve your desired sweetness.
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F
2. Grease the sides of 2 x 8” cake tins with coconut oil and line the bottom with baking paper.
3. Add the almond flour, coconut, spices, salt, and baking powder into a large bowl then stir to combine.
4. In a separate bowl whisk the eggs and coconut sugar until frothy. (Or blend the eggs and sugar in the Vibe Blender on ‘smoothie’ mode for 60 seconds.)
5. Add the coconut oil and vanilla to the egg mixture, then pulse or whisk to combine.
6. Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients, then stir to combine using a spatula.
7. Fold in the grated carrot, raisins and nuts.
8. Divide the mixture between the two cake tins.
9. Bake for 25 minutes.
10. Turn the cakes out onto a cooling rack.
11. Make the yogurt cream cheese frosting while waiting for the cakes to cool.
12. Combine all of the frosting ingredients in a bowl then whisk until smooth. Adjust the sweetness if necessary.
13. Spread the frosting on the cake then top with crushed pecans or walnuts.
14. Serve the immediately or place in the fridge - it actually tastes best after a day in the fridge.