We've used the Breeze food dehydrator to turn cauliflower into popcorn and it’s delicious! They’re tasty, crispy and incredibly moreish. Cauliflower popcorn is possibly the funnest way to ever eat cauliflower. Watch out, it’s an addictive, healthy snack. Perfect to bring to work, on a road trip, hiking, or just to have in the pantry for any time of day munchies.
The key to making the cauliflower as crunchy as possible is cutting your florets into tiny uniform pieces. Larger florets and pieces that are not dehydrated for long enough will turn out chewy. Chewy is not bad but for that satisfying pop, crunchy hits the spot.
Unlike the puffed corn kernel variety that you can eat by the bucket full, dehydrated cauliflower is a concentrated meal and one handful could keep you feeling satisfied for hours.
2 heads cauliflower
¼ cup olive oil
1/3 cup your favourite hot sauce (we used a preservative free sriracha)
2 tablespoons of smoked paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon of garlic powder
¼ teaspoon of salt
1. Begin by cutting off the leaves and dark spots.
2. Washing the head of cauliflower under warm water to remove dirt or grubs.
3. Cut the cauliflower head into equal-size florets, slightly larger than regular popcorn
4. Steam or blanch the florets for 3 minutes. You may need to do this in 2-3 batches.
5. Pour into a colander or sieve and run under cold water to cool.
6. Tap the colander to remove as much water as possible. Wet cauliflower will take longer to dry out.
7. Pour the florets into a large bowl.
8. Combine the spicy sauce ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
9. Pour the sauce onto the cauliflower and fold with a spatula to coat.
10. Lay the florets out onto the dehydrator trays leaving enough space between the segments for good air flow.
11. Set the Breeze dehydrator temperature to 75°C and the timer to 10 hours. The cauliflower may not be crispy at this point and may need a few more hours.
12. The drying time will vary depending on the humidity of your house, the size of the florets and the moisture in the cauliflower.
13. When the cauliflower is crispy all the way through, your popcorn is done.
14. Store in a cool, dry place in airtight jar.