Seeds are a great way to get a pop of texture and nutrition into your diet. Most of our common edible seeds are chock-full of important nutrients and health benefits. With four varieties of seeds and some delicious seedy berries, these homemade bars pack a lot of fibre and plant-based protein into a small package. Whether you need a portable healthy breakfast-on-the-run or a power snack at home or on a hike, these dehydrator strawberry & seed bars will give you a guaranteed boost in energy.
Dehydration takes longer than baking in the oven, but the process retains the vitamins, minerals and natural enzymes as if you were eating the ingredients raw. By slowly removing all the moisture, seed & fruit bars preserve and become safe to store for much longer. Best of all, dehydration makes these bars satisfyingly crunchy!
The ingredients in fruit and seed bars don’t require an exact formula. Don’t be afraid to swap in different seeds or fruit to create your own twist.
1 cup gluten free rolled oats
½ cup activated buckwheat groats
¼ cup sunflower seeds
¼ cup pepitas
½ cup golden flax seeds
½ cup desiccated coconut
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup strawberries chopped (fresh or frozen and defrosted)
2 cups of strawberry’s or mixed berries (fresh or frozen and defrosted)
1 apple, peeled and chopped
1/3 cup maple syrup or honey
2 teaspoons vanilla
1. Chop one cup of strawberries into 1 cm segments.
2. Combine all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
3. Add the berry puree ingredients into the Vibe Blender jug and blend on ‘smoothie’ mode for 30 seconds or until a smooth puree.
4. Pour the berry puree into the dry ingredients, add the chopped strawberries then fold with a spatula until incorporated.
5. Line one stray with the a non-stick silicon mesh sheet.
6. Spoon the mixture onto the sheet (half each side) then spread outward with a spatula to the sides to form a consistent and even rectangle of mixture.
6. Set the Breeze dehydrator to 70°C and the time to 8 hours, then check every 2 hours until the texture is dry and brittle. The time required to dehydrate the bars will vary depending upon the wetness and thickness of your mixture.
7. Chop into bars.
9. If thoroughly dehydrated the bars will last for several months. Store in an airtight container or vacuum seal for longer.