Homemade sunflower seed yogurt is an easy (and affordable) plant-based yogurt recipe that’s perfect for dolloping on anything and everything. It’s full of protein, fibre, healthy fats, antioxidants and other vital nutrients as well as being a great source of probiotics.
The Vibe Blender System transforms sunflower seeds into such silky smooth and creamy milk that you don’t even need to strain it. Leaving in all that gut-loving fibre, naturally thickens the yogurt, so you don’t need to add Agar Agar or gelatin or even cook the milk to achieve a beautiful yogurt-like texture. It’s one of the simplest dairy-free yogurt recipes we have.
Always soak the seeds for at least 8 hours before you begin. This step helps to remove the enzyme inhibitors and phytic acid, which is naturally found in sunflower seeds, as well as softens the seeds making them easier to blend. As this recipe uses the whole seed , including the pulp, the soaking step really improves the taste of the yogurt.
In traditional dairy milk yogurt the bacteria in starter culture thrive on the sugar content (lactose). Plant-based milks naturally have less sugar than dairy milk, so it is advisable to add a small amount of sugar to promote fermentation.
You will need a yogurt starter culture or probiotic to introduce the fermentation of bacteria to your cashew milk. Use the amount of starter culture indicated on the packet or one dose of probiotic.
Sunflower seed yogurt has a strong, earthy taste that will require more sweetener than other plant-based yogurts. Add vanilla and maple syrup (or honey) after fermentation and chilling.
2 cups sunflower seed
4 cups of water and a teaspoon of salt for soaking
3 cups filtered water for blending
1 teaspoon of white sugar (for the bacteria)
Dairy-free yogurt starter culture
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1-2 tablespoons of maple syrup, honey or sweetener of your choice
BEFORE YOU BEGIN, STERILISE YOUR YOGURT MAKING BOWL AND UTENSILS.
1. Soak the sunflower seeds in water for 8 hours or overnight.
2. Drain and rinse the seeds under running tap water.
3. Add the sunflower seeds and water into the Vibe blender jug. Secure the lid on the jug and then blend on ‘smoothie’ mode for 50 seconds or until the seed milk is silky smooth.
4. Pour the milk into a sterile yogurt making jar.
5. Add the sugar and starter culture and stir for a few seconds to incorporate.
6. Put the lid on the maker and then place the glass yogurt jar into your yogurt maker.
7. Pour water slowly into the base. The water must not be filled over the ‘tall line’ indicated on the inside wall of the maker.
8. Place the cover lid on top. The sunflower seed milk is now ready to begin fermentation.
9. Use the digital control panel to set the temperature to 38° C (100° F), the time to 15-hours and then press ‘confirm’ to begin incubation.
10. When the fermentation is complete, condensation will have collected under the cover lid. Please take care removing it and allow the water to drip into the water bath, instead of your bench! Switch the yogurt maker off and remove the yogurt jar. Straight from the maker the yogurt will be runny and warm.
11. Place the jar in the fridge for at least 6 hours to chill and set.
12. Stir in the vanilla and sweetener and then enjoy.