Try these delicious and loaded with flavour, ground chicken burger patties on your next burger night in. They are easy to make with everyday ingredients and taste just as satisfying as any beef hamburger out there. Trust us, if ground chicken burgers haven’t been your favourite in the past, this recipe might just make you a believer. And bonus, rolled into balls they make perfect appetisers too.
The key to flavourful, succulent, and not boring chicken burgers is fat. Grinding the chicken meat at home puts you in complete control of your burger. You can determine the fat, as well as eliminate preservatives and packaging, and truly own the whole burger making process. Choose the thigh and leg meats that are darker in colour and have more fat for flavour. To make these patties as moist and plump as possible, we added parmesan, breadcrumbs, egg, plus plenty of seasoning for flavour. When the patties cook, they’ll crisp up on the outside and stay juicy on the inside and much of the fat will cook out into the pan.
This recipe is all about the chicken patty itself, so we won’t tell you what to put into your burger. Go wild with all the classic toppings and sauces that you love.
This flavouring mix works well with ground pork and turkey as well.
You can make the patties a day or two before you plan to cook the chicken burgers. Time in the fridge only enhances the flavour.
This recipe sets you up to have burgers for a crowd or ready-to-go patties to stock in your freezer for another time. Form the patties into shape and pack with a piece of baking paper in between so they don’t stick together. Store in an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months.
1 kg / 2.2 lb ground chicken – see notes for grinding your own.
1 ½ cups breadcrumbs (or sub for GF breadcrumbs)
1 cup parmesan cheese finely grated
1 onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves crushed
1 teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon of smoked paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1. Chop the chicken thigh meat into 3cm chunks then place in the freezer for 30 mins to snap very cold before grinding.
2. Prepare all the burger seasoning ingredients and set aside ready to mix into the ground chicken.
3. Set up your Luvele meat grinder with the medium cutting plate and a bowl under the head.
4. Grind the chicken meat into the bowl.
5. Add the seasoning. Use a spatula (or your hands) to incorporate.
6. Scoop out consistent sized portions and form into patties. 1/3 – ½ a cup of mixture for each. Keep in mind that the patties will shrink a little bit while they are cooking.
7. Whether you use a pan or BBQ, oil the surface to prevent the patties from sticking.
8. Cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes each side.
9. Once they’re done, put them on buns, pile on the toppings, and serve them up asap.