Making your own fresh flour from whole grains is an excellent way to get maximum nutrient benefits and to reduce wastage in the kitchen! Many store-bought flours are heavily processed and even bleached, leaving them lacking in both flavour and nutrient content.
These cafe style strawberry and ricotta muffins are naturally sweet, and they showcase our fresh spelt and oat flours made in a matter of minutes using the Vibe Blender.
Made with an easy date puree, there’s no need to add any refined sugars to these. Apricots, raisins, or any other dried fruit can be used to sweeten this simple and versatile blender batter. The fresh ricotta gives them a beautiful savouriness which is offset by the bright strawberry flavour. It is even possible to switch fresh ricotta for homemade dripped yogurt cheese.
Enjoy these with a fresh cup of tea any day of the week!
1 ½ cups (200 grams) of pitted dried dates
1 ½ cups of spelt flour (sifted)
1 cup of oat flour (sifted)
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of baking soda
½ cup of coconut sugar
½ teaspoon of salt
1 cup (250 ml) milk
¾ cup (150 ml) melted butter
2 cups of fresh chopped strawberries
200 grams of fresh ricotta (check out our homemade ricotta here)
1. Preheat oven to 160 C / 320 F
2. Grease a muffin tray with butter or coconut oil
3. Soak the dried dates in a bowl of boiling water to soften for 5 minutes
4. Sift the flours, salt, baking powder and baking soda into a mixing bow
5. Add the coconut sugar and stir with a whisk to thoroughly combine
6. Drain the dates
7. Add the dates, eggs and milk into the clear vibe blender jug. Set it to ‘smoothie’ mode and blend for about 30 seconds or until well combined.
8. Pour the blended batter into the dry ingredients and mix it in until it’s well combined.
9. Add a bit over half of the strawberries to the batter and gently fold them in. (leave the rest for on top of the muffins)
10. Half fill the muffin trays with batter.
11. Use half of the ricotta – one teaspoon on each
12. Finish off with the rest of the batter and then top with another spoonful of ricotta and a sprinkle of chopped strawberries.
13. Bake for 40 – 45 minutes.